Sunday, February 13, 2011

Week 5: B&W

I absolutely love black and white photos. They can convey such emotion and are usually a simpler photo since there is no focus on the colors in the image. I was very excited about this week capturing photos to convert into B&W. But I took such great shots this week that looked great in color! Maybe one day I'll post the original photos, but for now you'll have to enjoy the B&W ones : )

Sunday, February 6th, 2011
I often take pictures of the barns because they are so close to our house. However, I took this one from one of our upstairs windows. This allowed me to get both barns in full in one shot and with the way the sun was setting behind the barns, it created a nice dramatic look.  

Monday, February 7th, 2011
I had to drop off our electric bill on my way to work, and as I was pulling out of the parking lot, this was my view! The color version is beautiful with the bright golden sun rising up over the mountain, but I am loving this version too.   

Tuesday, February  8th, 2011
The sun and clouds really caught my attention on my drive into work, so I whipped out my camera and took a picture as I was driving. I normally shoot in manual mode where I control the shutter speed and the amount of light let into the camera through the aperture. However, I keep it in auto when I know I'm going to need to get the shot quickly and don't have time to figure out the right settings, such as when I am driving! I love the way this one turned out! 

Wednesday, February 9th, 2011
I'm just going to put this out there: I am notorious for killing plants. They just do not survive very long in my care, unfortunately. So when my grandparents sent us a plant for Christmas, I was quite nervous. Fortunately, the instructions that came with the plant suggested placing 4 or 5 ice cubes on the soil a few times a week to prevent over watering. This was something I could handle! It clearly works like a charm : ) Check this thing out!!! As I am typing this, the plant is actually blossoming!

Thursday, February 10th, 2011
On my drive home from work, the sun was setting and the clouds were kind of funky! Again, I whipped out my camera and snapped this photo while driving home. It's amazing what kinds of photos you can capture without even looking through the viewfinder!

Friday, February 11, 2011
I had a conference on Saturday up in Baltimore, so we went up Friday night. This was the view from our hotel room on the 10th floor of the Hilton. Wikipedia says this is the Emerson Bromo-Seltzer Tower. In 2007, it was renovated and now houses 33 artists' studios. It also has a fire station on the ground level. Pretty neat, huh?

Saturday, February 12, 2011
This was my view on the ride home from Baltimore late Saturday afternoon somewhere on the beltway. The traffic was actually much worse than this photo shows. I am so glad I do not live in the city!!! Thanks Cindy for driving us!


Check back next Sunday for Week Six!
The theme: Happiness


Thanks for checking out my blog! Leave a comment about this week's photos



No comments:

Post a Comment